I'm looking to update boards, with a Jag being a potential. In two minds about which size.
Currently on a 2009 Starboard Futura 111L/68cm. Up until 2 years ago I was using 3-cammed slalom sails of similar age (mostly 6.6m in 16-22 knots, occasionally 7.5m when lighter) , but when they needed replacing decided on switching to camless for easier/longer sessions. Decided on Duotone E-Paces based on a test of a 6.6m. I got a 7.3m and had planned on a 6.2m as well, but none were available at the time. So, I've sailed the last 2 two seasons only with the 7.3m -- a handful of times I get caught out not having a 6.2 or similar, but it makes decisions easy -- if it's under 20 knots I'm out on the Futura with the 7.3m (I'm good from about 13 knots if it's steady, and in gusts to about 21-22 knots, although best 15-19 knots), over 20 knots and I'm on a Kode 86L with a 5.3m. I might go back to a cammed sail in future, but for now the E-Pace is fine (although the 2020 7.3 not quite as good as the 6.6 I tested -- sounds like Duotone worked on the 7.3 for 2021).
I'm now looking to replace the Futura, thinking that a new board will have overall better handling, more lighter wind flexibility, perhaps a touch better acceleration and speed. I'm not looking to go down the path of a dedicated foil set up, but I am thinking that at some stage I could give foiling a go to extend light wind (12-14 knot) opportunities without investing in bigger sail/rig.
Which makes me wonder:
Should I go with something similar in size to the Futura, such as the Jag 108, which might be better with my sail sizes (7.3 and maybe a 6.2 in future)? Should I expect better lighter wind/planing performance than the Futura due to the wider tail? But how viable is this as a lighter wind foiler?
Or should I go bigger, to a Jag 125, which gives me flexibility in lighter winds with either fin or foil? But might it be a bit big for these sails/conditions?
I'm 183cm, 80kg, coming up to 50yo with 30+ years of sailing. All my sailing these days is on a bay in Melbourne, Australia, that is known for its difficult water conditions when the wind is up -- up to 1m short-frequency wind swell at 20kn, pushing up to 1.5-2m in 25-30kn. Smooth and fast gybing is a challenge! The Severne Fox was actually made with this bay in mind, but doesn't have a foil-ready box so I've ruled it out -- which might be to Fanatic's benefit!
50-60% of my sessions are on the Futura/7.3, most of those in 15-20kn, sometimes a little less wind or a little more. This gives me enough for 3 sessions/week over summer. As mentioned above, a handful of sessions might be in the 12-14 knots, which is a bit stop-start with my current gear, and I might be missing out on another handful of days 12 knots -- but not looking at sailing in anything lighter than that.
Note that when I get around to replacing the 86L Kode, I'll probably go with something slightly bigger, say a 95L, which could give me the option of an 18-22 knot free-rider with a 6m and still be good as a free-wave with smaller sails in 20+ knots.
Appreciate any input/suggestions.